Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The First Draft

I would love to say that the reason I haven't posted in such a long time is that I was feverishly working on my novel and the writing completely occupied my spare time. I would love to say it, but it wouldn't be true. However, I was able to put some solid time into it over the past couple months and have officially finished my first draft. I'll be picking up the printed draft tomorrow and will pull out the trusty red pen and write all over it! I've been looking forward to this part for a while. I'm excited to see how well the story flows (or how poorly--yikes!) and if the characters are well-developed (though I doubt they are). But hey! It's a first draft. I'm not sending this one out for publication, so it's allowed to have some bugs. I'll post again with an update on my progress and some general thoughts about the quality of the story--I'll try to be as objective as possible.

UPDATE 4.18.07: After reading about five chapters of my novel and spending some time reading the blogs of published authors like Patrick Rothfuss, I think I need to tell the whole story before I can even think about having the first volume published. That is going to require a lot more time and effort, but I really feel that it will make each volume of this story of infinitely higher quality. So . . . back to work.

No comments: