Friday, October 06, 2006

Motivation

So, over a span of two weeks I had multiple experiences that reminded me that my time here on earth is limited. I will not be here forever, and possibly, I may not be here five or ten years from now. I won’t go into detail on the experiences, but basically they consisted of waking dreams (you know, the ones that are so vivid you’re not sure if you’re awake or asleep) and conversations with people.

All of which I hoped and prayed would serve as motivation to keep me writing. So far, I haven’t seen a dramatic shift, but I continue to pray that I will. I pray that I will move into flurry-mode, writing in any spare moments I can find. I want to develop the habits of life and mind that will allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through my writing, enabling me to write regularly.

However, it is entirely possible that I will be here for many years to come, whatever the Lord wills. I read an article at Wired Magazine, What Kind of Genius Are You? and, while I'm not claiming to be a genius mind you, one of the two forms fits me pretty well. I fit into the mold of the "experimental innovator," who takes a little longer to hit his stride. Galenson, the man being interviewed in the article, says, "But from very early in my career, I knew I could do really good work. I didn't know exactly how, and I didn't know when. I just had this vague feeling that my work was going to improve." Those words resonated deep within me, and I felt they could have been torn straight from my heart and mind.

The article says that if Jackson Pollock, who was a slow-starting experimental innovator, had died at 31, no one ever would have heard of him. I wonder if anyone will ever hear of me.

No comments: